Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Dana Study

oil on panel, 12" x 9"

I'm taking a portrait painting workshop with Jacob Dhein, an amazing figure painter, and this is the first of what will probably be three portraits in all.  It is a portrait of a wonderful ex-neighbor of mine, Dana, who still lives close by, so I may try her again in an interior space.  The reference photo for this was taken outdoors on a sunny day.  Jacob told us not to spend too much time on these, as they are skill-building exercises.  This one took a couple hours and I've got a few more details to add, but it's essentially done.  I'm pretty happy with it. Update 10/12/2023:  I've completed the study, applying Jacob's suggestions from his critique.  I still want to incorporate abstraction, but I think I'll leave it to the next one for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment