Friday, September 4, 2015

Portrait No. 20

oil on canvas board, 12" x 9"

This portrait is the result of a 2-hour session with the model.  Her slightly downcast eyes and mouth gave her a rather severe aspect, which disappeared during her breaks when she "came back to life," as it were.  Most of the models I've painted in these portrait sessions are first-timers and I notice that they get very serious when sitting, or they think faraway thoughts because it's boring to just sit there.  In either case, the lack of presence is apparent on their faces.  I would like to see what I could do with a portrait where the model is looking at me, where there is a soul-to-soul connection, or just someone who can exude presence in stillness.  It might make a difference in the outcome.  At any rate, it's all a great learning experience and I fully appreciate the opportunity to paint from life.

No comments:

Post a Comment